Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Beauty Pageants don't make girls insecure

I didn't grow up watching beauty pageants. (slowly looking to the sky to thank GOD that I was never into that kind of stuff) 

I had a few friends who had glass cases that they kept all of their ribbons and crowns in - and it interested me. I always thought that I wished I could be "that girl" that was pretty enough to not be laughed off of the stage. As you can tell my mental image of myself wasn't the greatest. Plus, my parents didn't have that kind of cash laying around to BLOW on crap like that. 

So, I never understood what the big deal was. I would hear people say things like, "Beauty pageants give girls bad mental images of themselves." "They make young girls think that they have to be perfect and prettier than all of the other girls to be validated." 

 


I was always like, "Foreget that, if she can't hit the softball out of the park then she ain't got nothin' on me!" However, every time I saw those crowns - something inside of me still felt "not good enough." 

Have you ever seen that show "Toddlers in Tiaras"?? What the world is wrong with those people??? OK, Ok, I realize that show is just that, a SHOW and they try to get the worst out of people (if you are a mom of a toddler in a tiara then you don't have to read the rest of this cause...Im gonna offend you) But...these moms are beyond ridiculous ... and those kids need a good kick in the batutie! 


 

Anyway...back to my original reason for posting this blog today. This morning I was watching Good Morning America (like I do most mornings while get ready for work) and I saw the story about Miss San Antonio. Here is the story if you want to check it out: 

articles.nydailynews.com
/2011-02-09/news/28550670_
1_pageant-board-miss-texas
-texas-judge 


"What did you say? Did she just tell me to "stop eating tacos?" 

Apparently, this whole thing started because Ms. Ramirez showed up to a photo shoot in a bikini (a SIZE 2) and the "pageant people" (whoever they are) told her that she was too fat and the pictures were "un-usable." 

Tell me something. Does this girl look fat to you? 

 

Give me a freakin' break people!!! What is wrong with us, as a society, that we can look at the beautiful young woman above and think to ourselves, "Well, she could afford to lose a few." 

So, let me say something to all of those "pageant people" (whoever they are) ... it's not beauty pageants that make girls insecure - it is your critical, judgmental, self-righteousness that makes girls insecure. Its the fact that a girl like me WOULD have been laughed off the stage! So do us all a favor and start seeing (and treating) girls (all girls) for what and who they really are - NO MATTER WHAT THEIR SIZE. 

BEAUTIFUL (period) 

No comments:

Post a Comment